Monday, February 4, 2013

Blog 1: Bicol Video Review

Originally, I was not quite sure as to what I wanted to be the subject of this first blog for my JOUR 307 class. In all honesty I almost forgot about it, but remembered it on the day was due.

So, I frantically searched the Web trying to find something. I tried to find something to critique as I am not up to date on new digital tools for the multimedia journalist in 2013, I started by searching "Google."

Nothing that that popped up really caught my eye, so I tried browsing "YouTube."

Finally, I switched over to "Bing" and came across a multimedia project by Jun Pasaylo.

His multimedia project is on the rebuilding of the Bicol Express that was built in 1940s, but saw heavy destruction due to a typhoon in 2006.

 His project "Bicol Express: Riding Again," is mix of video and still photos with natural sound and he himself narrates over the video.

All in all I thought the project was well done at its two minute and 12 second length. I liked the use of both video and photos. The voice over work was a nice touch and informative, but when I first saw it I could barely understand him.

I took a few views before I started to pick up what he was saying. The volume levels were good though, no loud pops or parts that I would have to try an lean in to hear better.

Also his interview subject was hard to understand as well. If this is just a project meant to stay around his home country I understand him doing the voice over. However, with the fact that I was able to stumble across it and the fact that he is a journalist he should consider either subtitles for him and people he may interview.

For the voice over, if wants to do it, that's fine if he uses subtitles, however, that may be a bit distracting at times, so maybe he should consider bringing in someone who speaks a little more clearly.

The still photos he used were great and I think for the part that talks about the new accommodations of the train, I think those photos came from Bicol Express website.

The subject matter was fairly interesting, but I think the video and photos made it so I continued to watch until the end.

Be sure sure to check Jun Pasaylo web page to see other stories and videos from him.

To view the video I just talked about either click the title link above or the shared link below.

"Bicol Express: Riding Again"

Check it out and share your opinions with me, whether you agree or think I'm a dumb fat American. Either is fine as it's your opinion.

Thanks and play well,
                                   MYLO

No comments:

Post a Comment